Sunday 30 June 2019

Layout Room

Brian's new island style layout bench work. He will have a really nice long run on each side of the backdrop.
In this years issue of Model Railroad Planning Tony Koester penned 7 More Things Not To Do when it comes to ones layout. Peter and I visited Brian Smith's new home this spring and were asked for our take...how should Brain's layout plan come to realization. Brian noted he thought he was breaking all Tony's rules but I don't think so.

Number 4 which talks about preparing a working space for ones layout. This is always a tough call I think. Many layout owners do have a nice finished basement to begin with but this is not always the case. Many basement are unfinished. Brian's layout will be in an unfinished basement and the area the White River Division is located in is actually found in a partly finished basement. The walls have some drywall with cove corners.

Brian is in an older home. I think working around what is there will work great and he will have a chance to actually finish the layout. Brian is staying away from the outer walls building the layout in the middle area of the room with room for operators to walk around the outside of the layout, similar to what Credit Valley Hobby Shop has done. I am looking forward to see how this all will unfold...George Dutka

This is the main section of the layout. There will be another section added to the far end making the layout L shaped.

3 comments:

  1. I don't understand why so many authors write these "Ten Things Not To Do" type articles. Don't have a Victorian house. Don't have a candy factory. This is one reason I've subscribed to fewer and fewer hobby mags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a narrow space along the wall there but workable. Makes me want to rethink my room yet again. Im tall and thin and run trains on my own. I feel like i can get away with a 28" space along one wall with only models on the one side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that one side is a narrow space but workable. I had no problem walking down that side. There are a lot of more open areas for standing while operating. Brain is also planning the lounge area which will access the other side. This particular location was designed tighter than usual due to the location of the columns holding up the house...George

      Delete