Thursday 20 July 2023

Rapido - 40' B&M Double Sheathed Boxcar

My completed model with the one I picked up last week.
I had already completed one of these models awhile back, but liked it so much I added a second to my fleet. The model got a coat of Tamiya TS-80 (flat finish) outside. Painting outside with it being so hot it was dry in minutes. The model has Kadee #5 couplers which I changed out with #158 true scale versions. The wheels I painted AK winter streak grime then a light coat of AK rust steaks. I also coated the underbody with the same tones using a brush. PanPastels are then applied to the underbody. The couplers got the same treatment.

I was in a rush to get at this car I forgot to apply the chalk marks that I was thinking of. Not often does a car come from the hobby shop, gets detailed and on the layout in less than 24hrs. A great boxcar model. The photo captions tell the rest of the story...George Dutka  

The running boards are painted Floquil grime followed by a light coat of PanPastel raw umber shade. The roof is done with Ceramcoat Bridgeport a new-to-me colour from my last trip over to Pt Huron and Hobby Lobby.

I added a lot of lines using AK pencils dirty white and gun metal which is a tone of black. I was not worried how straight the lines are or if there are too many. Once the powders are applied a lot of it is covered or at least toned down.

The finished car. The body got a coating of PanPastel red iron oxide extra dark, which went over the AK pencil marks. I then hit the lower areas, door, underbody and along the roof line with Paynes grey extra dark.


No comments:

Post a Comment