Sunday 2 July 2023

Rapido SF 56' Reefer

Ready to roll on the WRD.
I picked up a Rapido reefer a couple of months ago while out train shopping with Don Janes. I had posted photos of Don's two models around the end of last year or beginning of this year. This is a really nice model. Being built in early 1956 they would have been pretty new through my late 1950's or early 1960's era. I do change out eras and have to think of which one I want my equipment to fall into. So my weathering on this car will be light and minimal.

I began with a coat of Tamiya flat clear TS-80. I applied a coat of india ink and alcohol on the roof. It did not do much as the silver tone was much darker than I normally would apply. I gave the roof a very light coat of PanPastel raw umber shade and paynes grey extra dark (blackish tone) lightly on the hatch and roof edges. 

 The wheels are painted AK rust steaks followed by a light coat of AK streaking grime. The trucks and couplers are painted AK steaking grime.

The underbody got a heavy coat of PanPastel raw umber shade. The door and side grill was touched lightly with PanPastel paynes grey extra dark and the sides got a very light dusting of PanPastel raw umber shade. That's it...George Dutka

A closeup look at the roof and grill. I used a darkish tone PanPastel on the grills. The photo below views the reefer just out of the packaging. Note both sides have a different saying applied.


No comments:

Post a Comment