Sunday 9 April 2023

Chalk Board Paints

Dollar Tree's new line of chalk board paint.
The next few post will look at some of the paints I use or in this case don't use along with some additional suggestions from other modelers.

I noted that Dollar Tree has a new line of chalk board paint. I had purchase some there a few years back that I really like using at the time, so I thought I would pick up the four colors offered now and give them a try. As it turns out the quality of the paint is not the same as what I had purchased in the past. The paint has a bit of gloss to it also which is surprising since it should be very flat. Well the price was low enough to give it a try. This type of paint I normally use on wooden structures and cardstock roofing. The black is also good for a base coat of asphalt.

I am getting away from using craft store and dollar store acrylic paints these days as they just don't apply as nice as Vallejo, AK or AMMO paints and stains. These model paints all flow on so nice with many color choices and one can spray them on also. Using good paint really makes a difference to the final look of my structure and rolling stock projects.

I still have a large stock of Floquil paint, but I get overwhelmed by the smell at times. I just don't seem to open the jars that often now.

I noted that Pierre Oliver on his Elgin Car Shops blog has just covered the paints he likes using on resin kits that I think one might want to check out. His link can be found on the sidebar...George Dutka

I tested the colors on cardstock chips and once again on scrap wood pieces seen here. I found it did not cover well or even and there was a bit of gloss seen in the finish, surprising since it is a chalkboard coating.


No comments:

Post a Comment