Friday 25 August 2023

Ballast Size?

My order of HO scale ballast looked too coarse for me so I smashed it down to size.

I recently got my order of ballast from Arizona Rock & Mineral. My order was for yard mix and cinders in HO scale. They offer ballast in all scales and more tones than one can think of. I found the ballast to be a bit large although my test ballasting on Gatorfoam revealed it to be suitable. I just like mine to be finer looking ballast. So I did to what I have done to some larger ballast in the past...I smashed it with a auto body hammer on a piece of steel. The size looks a lot better now, at least to me. More testing is required...George Dutka 

 and
The smashed ballast on the left. In future I probably will purchase N scale ballast to mix in with the HO scale ballast. Maybe a mix of 2 parts N to 1 HO. Some experimenting will be required.


2 comments:

  1. Many modelers mix Woodlands Scenic's HO and N scale ballast for the same effect. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ben for your input I think that is always a good approach. I did that with hi-ball ballast when building my layout. The ballast was a mix of the two sizes and coloring black and cinders. I also mixed in a bit of Vermont soil into the mix. George

    ReplyDelete